It Started with Mission
With a dedicated mission heart, Helene Loewe Koehler responded to a plea from Mr. Fred Graepp for Braille Bibles for blind pastors in Germany. As a result, Lutheran Braille Workers (LBW) was founded in 1943. Helene learned Braille from Mr. Graepp by correspondence, keeping them and her Braille manuscripts in a shoe box under her bed.
Helene’s brother, Norman Loeber, created a Braille press using rollers from their mother’s wringer washer.
Helene sought the assistance of the Ladies Aid Society of Trinity Lutheran Church, and this became the first of nearly 200 Braille and Large Print Work Centers.
Today, our publications are distributed free of charge in more than 120 countries around the globe. Volunteers, mission minded financial partners and prayer warriors assist LBW in helping people touch the promises of Jesus, delivering God’s Word in formats they can read for themselves.